Thursday, December 5, 2013

Royal Coils – Reclaiming Our Crown (Natural Hair, Glamour and More…)

*grabs the microphone*

Hola, to all of my followers; I hope you are enjoying this holiday season. This week I had the awesome privilege of interviewing Simone Hylton, Co-owner of Natural Trendsetters; a nationally recognized natural beauty and wellness salon in South Florida. Guided by family powerhouse duo Simone and Yanique Hylton, Natural Trendsetters has two locations in South Florida, offering optimal service, expertise and skill to clients who admire individual beauty. The philosophy, artistry and techniques utilized at the salon stem from African and Caribbean hair care traditions.  As a global representation of beauty and wellness, Natural Trendsetters delivers exceptional results to a multi-ethnic clientele. Their signature hair sculptures have been seen on the likes of musicians Lauryn Hill, Wale, Acehood and athlete Venus Williams to name a few.

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 Natural Trendsetters in association with Simply National Organicals will host the 11th Annual South Florida Natural Hair, Beauty and Wellness Expo at the Hyatt Regency Downtown, 400 SE 2nd Avenue Miami, FL 33131 from 11am-8pm. This event is open to the public and will include hair, beauty and wellness workshops, product sampling, vendor booths, live hair demonstrations as well as expert panels. The event will also feature a live hair competition of barber battles, stylist showcases, natural hair wars and fantasy feuds with special musical performances. In celebration of this year’s theme, “Royal Coils” the expo will bring consumers, professionals and product lines under one umbrella to give the full story about keeping your tresses and body healthy. And, guess WHO IS modeling? *raises hand* Wooohoooo! I am so excited. This will be my first time hitting the runway as a natural hair model (A secret dream of mine). #WontHedoIt Admission to the exposition is $15.00 in advance and $20.00 at the door. You can purchase your tickets online at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/419687. Children 12 and under are free. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Save the Twins Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the education, prevention and treatment of breast cancer in both men and women.


I had the opportunity to catch up with Simone: the electrifying, energetic and creative beast with a queen spirit and this is what she had to share… 

Interview

Not Your Average Model: It is close to a week away from the Hair expo, what can attendees expect from the 11th Annual South Florida Natural Hair, Beauty and Wellness Expo?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: They can expect amazing new trends in natural hair. I am so excited. We have hair stylists from around the country coming to showcase and raise the bar for what natural hair can look like. People don’t understand that there are levels to this (laugh out loud). We have come to raise the bar in natural hair care. You can be natural, have healthy hair and be glamorous. I have come to realize that people do not respect the natural hair craft. YouTube has become teachers. I have been studying natural hair for 25 years and my colleagues for 10 plus years. Natural Trendsetters is here to raise the expectations.

Not Your Average Model: I am loving the theme of this year's hair show, “Royal Coils”. What does this theme mean?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: We are royalty, descendants of kings and queens. I believe that we do not respect our skin color or the texture of our hair. Our ancestors proclaimed that the kinkier your hair, the more royal you were. “Royal Coils” is about re-claiming our crown as royalty. Locs are a natural crown. Let our crowns grow kinky. Let us get back to that! We must realize it is a blessing to have kinks.

Not Your Average Model: Our locs are a natural crown, I love that. I have never viewed my locs in that way. In discussing the beauty of natural hair, why is hair care important and what are some hair care tips?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: Our hair breaks easily. It will leave you like a man if you do not treat it right (laugh out laugh). You should not have to take aspirin to rock a hair style. If your hair is too tight you can develop alopecia. We relate this to glamour and nothing is cute about that. We need to look at our definition of beauty. We are so prone to wanting to look like other people and what they purport beauty to be. Hair and your skin are the first indications that something is wrong with you. It is just as important to be beautiful as it is for you to be healthy.

Not Your Average Model: What does it take to put on an event of this magnitude? What and who are involved?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: This event is 100% industry driven. Vendors of small businesses are coming together to showcase their products. The planning of this expo is time consuming and challenging. We have an amazing platform for businesses to obtain the tools necessary to head to the top. It takes a plethora of experts in business, entertainment and cultures to successfully launch and host this event. In preparation for this hair expo, I have been undertaking a surfeit of research. There is so much that we do not know about our ancestors that we need to explore. We have a team of experts at the hair expo; everyone is qualified and knows what they are talking about.

Not Your Average Model: Simone, you have been in the game for a long time and a leader in the natural hair community, what makes the Natural Trendsetters brand different from other salons?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: We are the first natural hair care salon of its kind in South Florida. We have been open for 16 years and I have been styling hair for 25. We train all of our stylists. A large portion of stylists in South Florida emanated from Natural Trendsetters and I am proud of that. My purpose in life is for women to love themselves from the inside out. At Natural Trendsetters, we hold a professional standard with an industry that is not that professional. I am lobbying for the state to teach hair stylists hair care. It is not offered now. One of my idols is Madam CJ Walker, she was a pioneer. I want our people to take back control of the hair industry.

Not Your Average Model: What are your thoughts concerning the hair controversy surrounding 2012 two time Olympic Gold Medalist, Gabby Douglas?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: Concerning Gabby, “We just saw only her skin color, lips and hair: and that she did not represent our standard version of beauty”. Society has taught us to hate who we are. Something is deeply rooted in us about that. I believe she is beautiful. We should have taken time out to say this is my sistah. She has just broken barriers for us. Let us focus on that. I believe all of the controversy, hurt her feelings.  This is what we do to each other. We have to break those generational curses. As a hair stylist, I deal with people’s soul that is what concerns me. I am a self-esteem builder. I want all women to learn how to embrace what we were born with.           

Not Your Average Model: What does it mean to be a trendsetter?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: Being a trendsetter is defined as having your own style and sensibility. It means really owning and showing who you are. If you do that you can really set a trend. It comes natural for me to set trends. My energy is contagious. I have a natural aura that people gravitate towards.    

(Concerning the gap in her mouth) This is a trait passed down from my ancestors. I pondered the thought of closing it, but it is a part of who I am. It is important to love yourself and I love me.

Not Your Average Model: Define your hair style aesthetic? Is it funky, edgy?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: My style is Afro-centric glamor. It has an ethnic feel. My style has been described similar to hair art. Growing up I always knew I was artisty and creative, but I could not sing or draw (laugh out loud).

Not Your Average Model: Some of the proceeds will benefit the Save the Twins Foundation, why is this organization important to you?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: I have been adversely affected by cancer. My grandmother died from breast cancer and my uncle from prostate cancer. This disease is so mind blowing, because of how fast it takes our people. Save the Twins Foundation is about getting checked, spreading awareness and raising funds to fight this monster. There are a lot of organizations that are raising funds, but not many in our community. We need to do this for our community.

Not Your Average Model: Are there any sponsors or special people you would like to thank?
Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: Oh yes! I would like to thank Dijox Hair, Taliah Waajid, Simply Natural Organicals and Natural Trendsetters. These companies are all amazing leaders in the hair industry and they believe in my vision.

Not Your Average Model: In one sentence please tell me why should my readers come to the 11th Annual South Florida Natural Hair Beauty and Wellness Expo?

Simone “Trendsetter” Hylton: They should come, so that they can be entertained, educated and uplifted. The hair expo will provide attendees with live entertainment, workshops and open their eyes to see the level of creativity that is available to them. I believe that was one sentence (laugh out laugh).

For more information on the 11th Annual South Florida Natural Hair Beauty and Wellness Expo visit http://southflnaturalhairexpo.com/ or email SFLNaturalHair@gmail.com.
Follow Natural Trendsetters on Social Media:
https://www.facebook.com/NaturalTrendSetters
Twitter: @NaturalHairGuru

For more information call: (954) 486-1414 or visit www.naturaltrendsetters.com.


Connect with me on Twitter and Instagram @NotYourAvgModel.


*drops mic and exits stage left*

2 comments: