Thursday, February 13, 2014

#PlatinumTable - It's Complicated

This week's episode of #BeingMaryJane has me quite befuddled. Possibly because of my internal quarrels with love and relationships or simply because I have observed so many of the mistakes that Mary Jane has made on this week's episode within myself and people whom I know. On last week's post I shared that I wasn't ready for marriage and low and behold I stepped out over the weekend and met someone. Ha. Ha. Ha. Won't He do it! Guess who has a Valentine *raises hand*. Sound the alarm lmbo. But, I digress...

As we embark upon Valentine's Day this week, I am left to ponder the complexities of love, relationships and what each woman desires from both. This week's episode of #BeingMaryJane opens up with Andre searching for an apartment accompanied by MJ, because he is in fact "divorcing his wife." Andre's new apartment will not be available for another month and guess who volunteered to allow him to stay with her, M to the J. My first reaction was momma nooo. Are you crazy, MJ??? But in her world it makes sense. She loves Andre, so why would she allow him to stay in a hotel or bunk with someone else if she has availability. So now they're lover/roomates...I guess. I'm sure this is not the ideal situation for MJ. In contrast, some women would argue a piece of man is better than no man at all. Hey singer and songwriter Betty Wright even wrote a song describing this topic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NprgWAZQo-Q. Although Andre is living with MJ and claiming her as his lady (well at least to the real estate agent) they cannot be seen in public together. I wonder why? Because dude is still married. #NumberTwoIssues

As the episode unfolds, MJ and her family attend the Jack and Jill Scholarship Dinner for the United Negro College Fund (one time for HBCU'S - Historical Black Colleges and Universities). Despite momma Helen pimping her husband (MJ's father) to obtain a platinum table at this elite event because "she is a founder and it's her time to live now,"the character David, Mr. Do Not Call reappears. RIGHT ON TIME! Now that Andre is "conveniently" living with MJ. David is as handsome as ever and to MJ's surprise he is still in communication with her parents.While sharing an intimate moment on the dance floor, David admits that he is dating someone and they are headed to seriousville. MJ is DEVASTED. Wouldn't you? Have you ever dated, conversed or talked with someone and stopped and found out months later that they were in a committed relationship, engaged or married??? *raises hand*. It makes you second guess yourself and wonder if something is wrong with you. Am I not the commitment type?

After watching #BeingMaryJane, my best friend asked me why is MJ mad about David dating someone else. My response is that she possibly still possesses feelings for David and wants what David has; Not necessarily with David, but with Andre and she realizes that she cannot have what she so desires. Or can she? If MJ makes the difficult decision to discontinue her relationship with Andre and not settle for less than what she deserves the possibility of commitment is amplified.

Wise men have told me that women possess the power in a relationship. We control what happens and what we allow to happen. Alice Walker states, "The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don't have any." Women we have the power. It's only COMPLICATED, but we allow it to be. Let's change our ways and subsequently change the world.

Happy Valentines Day to all the lovers and lovers of love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment