Friday, February 21, 2020

Oasis


Cherish The Day

I survived another Valentine’s Day as a single woman in these streets! <twerk something> *Cue Megan The Stallion, Jill Scott, no I mean Tamela Mann, because I'm twerking for Jesus! Hallelu! lol The revolution will not be televised, but my love story will be. Bet that! Better yet, bet on God!

As you can tell, I’m so hype right now! Prolly because I met a plethora of personal and professional goals this week – My work projects are coming along great, I cooked this week and everyone is still alive, made it to bible study, got in three work-outs and even enjoyed a walk with my poppa, since the doctor cleared him to exercise - Everyday I'm hustlin'!




Sis slayed at the Perez Art Museum Art + Soul Event and enjoyed an evening of culture and music with Tank and The Bangas. Come through split!




But enough about me, let’s talk Cherish The Day Episode 3, "Oasis." This episode opens up with Evan and Gently dating for three months. The couple enjoy round 2 of them doing "the nasty" (close your eyes saints) as Evan encourages Gently to attend his parents 40th Anniversary party. It's evident to me that Evan is enamored with Gently, based on his actions, not to mention his words, "Since I met you, I just want to be around you. You’re like ketchup, you make everything better." Well put me on a platter and serve me as a whole meal Evan. 

There is something special about watching this melanin and this type of love magnified on the big screen. I admire the way Evan loves Gently. His delicacy, his intentionality, his patience, it's sweet and endearing. So much so, that Gently describes him to be, easy to be with, sweet, honest, good to her and plays no games – all characteristics that I want in a mate. Asking for myself, do men like Evan really exist? 

In this episode, we're introduced to Gently's mom’s addiction, which I purport is the reason why she doesn't trust so easily. Luna and Evan share tea, West Adams history and a 2-step while Gently prepares to meet The Fishers. Gently spends time with Evan's niece at the hair salon and her bestie shares some words of wisdom with Gently concerning her mom ... "What if it’s not about her this time. I love you and just want to see you win."  I believe you reach a point in life, where you realize that putting your happiness first is what best serves you and eventually others. 

As the episode continues, we're introduced to Evans parents. Daddy Fisher is a little happy with the libations and Momma Fisher, Marilyn and her Sorors, set the bourgeois tone. I’m just saying ... I like my D in front of my S and my S in front of my T! Oo-oop!


Three snaps for Evans toast! If you missed it, here it goes "I want to thank my parents for showing me to have an open heart and not to judge, to see the value in a persons character and not their bank account and to know that a happy marriage is more than where you come from, it is the home that you make together." Mic drop! 

After Evan's toast he gets into a heated debate with his mom about Gently and his congratulatory in-direct you're a hypocrite speech and subsequently leaves the party early. What was most surprising to me in this scene, was Gently's mature response to overhearing their conversation. She didn't blow up, but encouraged Evan to stay and support his parents. More importantly, I'm happy Ava didn't portray Gently to be an angry black woman, when in fact she had every right to be in this moment. 

This episode closes with a deeper connection between Gently and Evan. Gently opens up to Evan about her mom and Evan soothes her pain and disappoint with these words,"You can look for love in me and find it!" I was completely done after that! Just done!

I believe it is almost everyone's desire to be loved. We are created out of love to give and receive it. One of my favorite Jill Scott songs, salaciously says  "he loves me especially different, every time you keep me on my feet https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBYV4bMlg7gLove is the change that we need, the change we can believe in. So why am I scared of it? Let's unpack this next week!






.













No comments:

Post a Comment