Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Being Mary Jane

Last night over 5 million viewers tuned in to watch the return of the highly anticipated drama series, Being Mary Jane, BET's first original drama. Created by Mara Brock Akil, the visionary behind Girlfriends and The Game this drama evokes so many emotions. The beautiful and talented actress Gabrielle Union plays Mary Jane, a successful high powered talk show host.  Mary Jane searches for love, but finds a man not wanting to commit and a man already in a committed relationship. 

I love the realness of Mary Jane. I think all viewers can relate to at least one challenge or issue that Mary Jane encounters. Mara (I feel like I'm on a one name basis with her since she tweeted me before lol) has created a platform of dialogue discussing  love, sex, adultery, being a black woman in Corporate America, work life balance, suicide, teenage pregnancy, family issues and the list goes on and on.

From last night's episode I am left with a couple of challenging questions, which I hope some of my readers are able to answer. The character Andre, played by the uber so sexy Omari Hardwick (that man is fine, but I digress) is the man who Mary Jane meets and later finds out after she has invested time, emotions, her body and feelings that he is married with children. 

So I ask the question, can you be in love with two people???
In my opinion, love is a choice. It is a decision we choose to make. I choose to date ____.  I choose to invest time in a relationship with _____. No one forces these actions upon you. So if love is a choice, then loving two people simultaneously is possible. Please explain.

Why do men cheat??? Honestly, I really want to know. If you are unhappy in your marriage, why are you still married? I've heard some men say, I stayed for the children. I am not in agreement of children not growing up in a two parent home, but why would you sell your children a lie. If your marriage has hit rock bottom seek counseling and if counseling is unsuccessful put on your big man pants and call it quits. Make room for a relationship and marriage that will be successful.

I believe as women we appreciate honesty and sometimes men deprive us of that. I've been told before because I love you, I won't tell you the truth. Is that love or is that an act of cowardliness?

Share your thoughts on the issue. Feel free to comment.

I look forward to tweeting with you next week Tuesdays at 10pm sharp. Follow me on twitter @Lala_bangs and join the twitter conversation. 

#BeingMaryJane 

No comments:

Post a Comment